"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Accomplishments and Milestones

“Cleaning the house while the kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk while it’s still snowing.”-Phyllis Diller

I know I probably say this daily, but holy Toledo time flies! Brianne is growing up so fast and everyday she amazes me more. I’m sure every mother thinks she has the smartest (and cutest) baby in the world, but I’m pretty sure I actually do : ) For example, just this morning we were in the car on our way to daycare and she heard a loud truck go by, and she pointed at it and said “look… truck!” which astounded me because I have never pointed out a truck to her. Well, wait, that’s not entirely true… every night before bed we look at her big book of first words and there are trucks in it that I have pointed out to her, but they do not make sounds, obviously. My baby girl was able to take what she saw in a book and apply it to real life based on a sound she heard! And yesterday on our way home from daycare, she pointed out a billboard to me that had a bunch of penguins on it advertising the Newport Aquarium and said “birds!”

So, with all this learning and growing going on, I felt compelled to do a milestones update. But, I’m not entirely sure milestones is the right word… let’s use accomplishments instead shall we?

Can feed herself with a ford or spoon (it’s messy, but she can do it)

Can point to specific body parts when asked (head, belly, nose, ears, toes and eyes)

Dances every time she hears music of any kind (including when I whistle)

Can point out things in her picture book when asked (where’s the apple? Panda? Flowers? balloons? Baby?, Etc.)

Cleans up after herself, sort of (loves to take dirty diapers and other things deemed as “yuck” to the trash can where she will lift the lid, toss in the item and close the lid all on her own.)

Understands and obeys simple commands (“Bring that to mommy”, “Come here”, “Get your blankie” “Let’s brush our teeth”, “Hold my hand”, “Take this to daddy”, “Go get your book”)

Mimics everything she sees (will grab her purse, put it on her shoulder and head for the front door, turns around and says “bye” and blows us kisses, changes her baby doll’s diaper and shares her paci and sippy cup with her baby doll)

Says “all gone” when she finishes her meal or milk and asks for more

Says “no” while shaking her head no (even though this typically means yes instead of no)

Tries to stand on her tippy toes

Can point out mommy and daddy in pictures

Brushes her own teeth and hair (though not very thoroughly yet)

Recognizes things by sound (trucks, birds chirping, cats meowing, dogs barking, etc.)

Learning to color (on walls too)

Can drink through a straw now

Learning to drink from a big girl cup

Plays peek a boo and says “Boo!”

Obviously this list is not complete because it would take me all day to actually think of and list all the amazing things she does and knows, but it’s a nice summary. She will be 16 months old this Sunday and I’m so proud of how far she has come and fast she has caught up to where a full term baby should be. Actually, she is surpassing many of her peers in cognitive abilities (and in physical growth too!). She is such a delight these days and so much fun. She makes me a proud happy mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment