"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hero in Waiting



I just mailed my Bone Marrow Donor kit back to DKMS with my 2 cheek swabs in it. I am officially a “hero in waiting” now. And I decided not to include a quote today because I couldn’t think of one that would sum up the cause better that this badge for Baby Kate, which is of course, the reason I registered in the first place. If you want to read more about her or are looking for inspiration (or a reason to register) check out this story about Kate , or head over to her mommy’s blog.

All of this has made me realize how much I have changed in the past… I’m reminded of my college days and all the PETA and Animal Rights bumper stickers and buttons I had. I used to put all of my effort and passion into fighting for animals, which I still have a passion for, but I guess now that I am a mommy, some of my priorities are just a little different. Not the my convictions have changed, I am still against animal testing and consider myself and animal rights advocate, just not so much of an activist these days. But, if I had to change, I guess this is an acceptable change, right?

I do realize that this blog is supposed to be about Brianne and lately I have been talking a lot about baby Kate. I just want to explain why, so that when Bri reads this, she will understand:

Brianne,
I want you to know that I registered to be a bone marrow donor because of you. I registered in honor of Kate, but it is because of you. If it weren’t for you, I would not know what a mother’s love is and thus not truly be able to understand what this little girl’s parents must be going through. To try to put myself in her mom’s shoes is nearly unbearable. It makes my heart ache. No baby should have to suffer or know what pain is, ever. And I feel like with all the horrible things in the world and on the news, I need to know that a simple act of kindness from a stranger could potentially save someone’s life. It is proof that there are still good people in this world and that means there is still hope.
I love you so much,
Mom

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming…

No comments:

Post a Comment