"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Thursday, July 21, 2011

... One Giant Leap for Mankind

"America has tossed its cap over the wall of space." - John F. Kennedy

Today is a sad day for me, and I'm sure I am not the only geek mourning the end of the space shuttle program. The end of Mission Control and Shuttle Atlantis and the space program in the US. I want to document this day because this blog is basically my pregnancy and motherhood journal and someday I hope for Brianne to read it.

The space program always brings to mind elementary school, mostly because the launches were a huge deal and our teachers would let us watch them on tv. I will never forget when I was in 4th grade and the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded upon take off, January 28, 1986. That was 25 years ago! I remember the teachers were panicked and the principal made an annoucement over the speaker. It was a very odd sort of day.

Shuttle Atlantis made its final touchdown at Kennedy Space Center at 5:56 am this morning, July 21, 2011. There were around 2000 + people there to witness the end of an era. I watched the landing on the news this morning before I woke Brianne up and now I wish I would have woken her to watch it with me.

I can only assume that sometime in Bri's lifetime the United States will launch another manned mission to space, maybe to Mars or the Moon again. Or, there's always hope that we'll win the lottery and can take a private chartered trip to space ourselves... And so, here are some pics of the final launch and landing of Atlantis.

Space Shuttle Atlantis' Final Launch from Kennedy Space Center, July 8, 2011




Atlantis' final landing at Kennedy, July 21, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment