"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Don't Toddlers Need to Sleep too?

"The phrase working mother is redundant." - Jane Sellman

I don't quite understand what happened with Brianne, but getting her to go to sleep every night this week has been a battle roy-al! It all begin with Monday night and her wanting to party till after 10, then last night I literally had to hold her down till she was out! And I know that she is tired, that's the kicker. She will walk around rubbing her eyes and clutching blankie, and covering her face, her usual tired cues, and like a doll if I lay her back her eyes will close (but not for too long). She even fights diaper changes in the evening because she is afraid she will fall asleep while laying still for me (at least that's my interpretation since she lays still for diaper changes at ANY other time of day).

Tuesday night when I was at the Buffett concert, and she was home with just Jason, she went right down at 7 like she used to always do for me... The plot thickens. Apparently there is something about mommy that is making her want to stay awake, but what? I asked him what he did differently and he said nothing, just gave her a bath, got her PJs on her and she laid down on her pillow and was out. I on the other hand have had to hold her (forcibly) and rock her and sing to her for 20-30 mins every night!

I know what you're thinking. You are probably thinking its because I have spoil her and she knows that if she doesn't go to sleep that mommy will rock her and cuddle her and sing. But I really don't think that is it because at first when I get her on my lap she struggles to get away from me, and when I say struggle I mean scream, cry, kick, stiffen up... she doesn't want to go to sleep, period.

Needless to say, we are going to have figure something out soon because it is all making for a tired little girl in the morning and when she is tired, she is a grumpster! And I hate having to hold her down and make her unhappy but I know she needs to get more sleep than she has been getting. Ugh, will I ever figure out this whole mommy thing? I mean, when she is 16 will I still feel like I'm lost and just winging it? I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment