"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Monday, August 15, 2011

A Tale of Two Travelers

“Too often travel, instead of broadening the mind, merely lengthens the conversations.” – Elizabeth Drew

I’ve been contemplating how to write this post because I don’t want certain people to read it and be offended, or the wives of certain people to read it and be mad at certain other people… So I decided to just do it, but I will at least be changing the names of the innocent parties involved (and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that neither coworker nor wife of coworker read my blog).

I left for GR at 7am on Thursday morning. It was just me and a male coworker, we’ll call him Joe. He picked me up at my house and at the same time, Jason was leaving to take Bri to daycare and then off to work. So I had to say a rushed good bye because we were all running late. That wasn’t a good way to start my travels cuz I always miss Jason and Brianne so much when I go away. Well, what should have been a 5.5 hour drive turned into a nearly 8 hour drive. Why so long you ask? Because we took the scenic route. We were on the road for nearly 2 hours before we ever even got on the interstate. Don’t get me wrong, the drive was a lot more scenic – we saw horses and foals, Amish people in horse drawn carriages, cows, lamas, chickens, sheep and goats, but it also took us FOREVER to get there.

When we finally arrived in GR (around 3pm) we checked into our rooms, separate rooms, and then met in the lobby half an hour later to go to “work”. We got to “work” and stayed there till after 6 and I was starving! So as soon as we got back to the hotel, I hit the bar and got a beer and a burger. Joe joined me for one beer then took off on a search for souvenirs for his kids. I ate and took a little walk and called Jason. It was so nice out that I found a bench and sat and chatted with Jase for about an hour and recapped the day’s events including the drive up. Well, what I didn’t realize was the bench was right in front of a couple hotel rooms’ windows…. This is important.

Next day on our drive home, Joe decided it would be best to take the interstate home because the construction on the ride up was the reason it took us so long to get there. But, secretly I am afraid he overheard me talking on the phone to Jason from one of those hotel room windows. Oh well, he never said anything to me so maybe I’m just being paranoid.

This leads me to the story of Joe’s wife. Apparently she is super paranoid about Joe cheating on her and so Joe didn’t tell her he was taking me along to GR. All of this put me in a very awkward situation and made me feel a little like I should be the paranoid one. He even said he was afraid she was going to call the hotel and try to find out what other women from our company were checked in and staying there! I’m sorry, but I have the most wonderful husband and our relationship is as near perfect as a relationship can be, so there is no reason for anyone to ever think I would cheat on Jason. If you don’t trust your husband/boyfriend/significant other and are so paranoid that you feel the need to check up on them like this then you need to take a look at yourself and ask yourself why you are like that? Chances are it is a problem with you and not the significant other (perhaps a self confidence issue?). Sorry for the rant...

Any way, it was so nice to be home and I missed Jase and Bri so much! When I met my parents at Olive Garden to pick her up she was outside walking with my mom and she saw me come around the corner and smiled from ear to ear and shouted “MAMA!” and came running to me! Melted my heart and made me realize I never want to leave her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment