"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Barney = Crack for kids

Should I be concerned that my 17 month old child is already obsessed with Barney? Does that make me a bad parent? No wait, don’t answer that! Brianne LOVES Barney! I’m not real sure how this all started, but maybe it was when we took her to meet him at the mall when she was only 9 months old.

Or maybe it was her first time watching it on PBS when she was a year old. Or it could be because they watch some of the song only DVDs at daycare. Who knows! But now, that’s all we hear about. “Barn! Barn!” So on Tuesday when my dad watched her because she was too sick for daycare, she kept telling him “Barn!” and she is so cute when she does it because she goes to the tv and starts hitting buttons on it or on the dvd player like she knows how to make it play. Or, she will grab the flipper (aka. The remote) and hand it to you. My dad had to call me at work and ask me how to make our dvd player work so she could watch it. And I could hear her in the background, whining and saying barn over and over. And now she wants to watch it all the time… last night before bed, this morning while we were eating breakfast and getting ready for work. He really is like crack for kids! She also has a stuffed Barney that sings when you squeeze him and she has started carrying him around with her all the time now!

In other cute news, her newest words: dangerous, don’t know, I get it. Now, none of these words are very clear mind you, but we know that’s what she is saying. She has this little infant-to-toddler chair that she has just started liking again, and one day she climbed in it and decided to try to stand in it. I told her not to do that because it was dangerous, and she repeated it. I said “did you just say ‘dangerous ‘ baby?” and she shook her head yes and said it again. Now every time she gets in her chair she lets me know that it is in fact dangerous! Nevermind the fact that there are elephants on the chair and she always wants to know what “this” is, and when I said elephant never was I repeated. But dangerous is apparently a much easier word. And we get a lot of “don’t know” these days too. Again, it’s not real clear, but if you ask her if she said “don’t know” she will nod her head yes. So, let me give me an example:
Me: Brianne, do you want peas or carrots with dinner?
Bri: don’t know don’t know
Me: Pick one, peas (showing container) or carrots (showing container)
Bri: don’t know don’t know

I guess it could be worse, I could just get NO all the time. And her “I get it” is also very adorable!
Me: Where’s blankie?
Bri: I get it
Me: Want some juice?
Bri: I get it (as she pulls on the fridge door handle)

Needless to say, her vocabulary is expanding exponentially, daily mind you! But, as I’m sure most moms to toddlers know, it’s a language that can only be understood by mom, dad and grandparents.

And here’s some Disappointing news, we are no longer taking off work tomorrow, so that means we will only have a 3 day weekend instead of our planned 4. We decided to be smart and save the vacation day since I am already out of sick days and Jason only has one left. This way hopefully we can still take the day after Thanksgiving off, and of course our normal last week of the year vacay! So I guess it is a worthy sacrifice.

To drastically change the subject, I can’t believe it is September 1st already! And as sad as I am to see summer coming to a close, I am equally excited for fall and Halloween! In fact, I have already planned our 2nd annual pumpkin picking outing and doing extensive research into Halloween costumes! I have some cute ones picked out too, but I’ll save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment