"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

...My Jimmies

This is going to be a short post (because frankly I have been super busy and my hands already hurt from all the typing I've done today). But I just wanted to share with you that I had another mommy-freak-out episode last night and ended up dialing the on-call pediatrician. Remember how I mentioned Brianne had a few hives pop up on her Sunday? Well last night the poor baby got real red, mostly on her face and ears, but it started to spread down her neck and chest. It wasn't hives, and it wasn't heat rash, I don't know what it was. First, she didn't want to eat dinner. That worried me because she loves to eat. Then, after drinking some milk I noticed her left ear was super red (and I thought it looked swollen even though Jason said it wasn't). So I tried to pay it no mind, but then after we were playing in the kitchen sink (what can I say, she loves water) I noticed that it had spread to her entire face and her other ear.

I know I'm a worrier, and this goes back to the post about how anything that could affect her breathing makes me worry more, so I panicked. I dialed up the pediatrician and left a message, basically asking what the correct dose of children's benadryl to give her (we have some on hand from her last case of hives) and when the doc called back she calmed me down and told me all the things I wanted to hear - that she wasn't having an allergic reaction, that it was probably due to the virus leaving her body, not to give her any benadryl, and to watch for difficulty breathing, swollen eyes or lips or hands. Well see, there's the problem right there. I can't trust my own brain. As soon as she said what to watch for, I started imagining her eyelids were swelling, and do her lips look puffy, is that a wheeze when she exhales?

Needless to say I didn't sleep much last night but Bri had no problems, go figure. She "slept like a baby" and was totally fine this morning. She didn't even cry when we left her at daycare. She started too, but we distracted her with a puzzle and then some other kid started crying and she held her tears like a big girl and said bye to us. Could this be the start of the end of her separation anxiety? We can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment