"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Monday, September 12, 2011

DIY Monday - Handprint Cont'd and Collages

This weekend was so busy that we were left with very little time for arts and crafts. But, we did manage to finish painting the salt dough handprint, and that led to an idea for another project. I know that I gave hints last week of our project, but that one required more time than we were afforded this weekend, so that one is on hold until next weekend...


Salt dough handprint, part 2:

Our hand print plaque that we made a couple weeks ago has had ample time to dry and harden, so we moved on to step 2 this weekend. We decided to paint it pink to match Brianne's room, but I'm not so sure I chose the right kind of paint. If you remember way back before Bri was born, we passed out blank canvases for family and friends to each paint one letter of Brianne's name? Well, we used the same color pink from that project to give everything a cohesive look. But those were acrylic paints and I do not suggest those for salt dough painting, just an FYI and mental note for future reference. (However, the acrylic paint was super easy to clean up. After it dried on her hands and high chair, we just peeled it right off) Oh, and did I mention yet that Bri loved painting!!!




Here we are getting all set up




And here she is painting away




She loved painting so much, she decided to keep painting long after she finished the hand print, which is my inspiration for our next project.
And here is the finished hand print. I used a sharpie to put her name and date on it as well. But you could always write that on the back if you didn't want it to be visible.


When we finished the hand print, Brianne kept painting all over the funnies section of the Sunday newspaper.




And I already knew that I wouldn't be throwing it away because it is her first painted masterpiece. But I had planned to just stick it her scrapbook when I had an idea... I let it dry then I cut the newspaper into a bunch of smaller peices, all different shapes and sizes.






Next weekend we are going to make a collage out of the cut up painted peices! I have some different colored construction paper and a glue gun and I hope that the finished product will resemble some modern art masterpeice! And since Bri loved painting so much, we will probably break out the colored tissue paper and paint some more first and then we will have more colors, shapes and textures to add to the collages.




So depending on our time constraints next weekend, we hope to finish the collage and at least get started on our Frank Lloyd Wright inspired faux-stained glass (did you figure out our project from my hints last week?).

No comments:

Post a Comment