"It was the tiniest thing I ever decided to put my whole life into" ~ Terri Guillemets

Thursday, September 8, 2011

We All Fall Down!

"Ring around the rosies, a pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down!" - Barney

Yes, I realize that Barney did not actually make up that song, but that's who I hear singing it over and over... Brianne has learned how to do Ring Around the Rosies! This morning while we were watching Barney before work/daycare (lucky me right?) they started singing this song and Bri jumped up and started spinning herself in a dizzying little circle and as the "ashes, ashes" part she stopped and started squating, then "ALL FALL DOWN" and she just dropped to her bum and shouted "DOWN!" I couldn't believe my eyes! I mean, has a prouder moment ever been felt by a parent? I think not! As far as I'm concerned that was the equivalent to what Neil Armstrong's momma felt when she saw her son walking on the moon!

I am going to try to capture this amazing accomplishment on video tonight so I can post it tomorrow, but as I have learned from past experiences, Brianne doesn't usually perform on demand. And now that I have this song stuck in my head, does anyone know what this song is really all about? I mean, sure I can figure out the ring around the roses, and having a pocket full of posies, but where do the ashes come from and why do they make you fall down? Is there another verse, or this all there is? I need to know the answers to these questions so I can file it all away in my "useless information" file!

Warning! Dramatic change of subject coming... now!

I have been thinking all week of what art/craft project Brianne and I can attempt this weekend (and yes, I do realize we still have to paint the handprint plaque) and I believe I have found my inspiration in the following items:

Frank Lloyd Wright Stained Glass


The canvas growth chart hanging in Brianne's bedroom



Stay tuned...


1 comment:

  1. Well, this comment might be a downer. lol. But I have heard a couple different explanations for what "Ring around the Rosie" is. One explanation was that it's a rhyme about the Black Plague. That's the most common story I have heard. The other explanation was something about it being some kind of game people came up with to entertain at parties because dancing was banned by certain religions way back in the day.

    ReplyDelete